Accurate Assessment of Vegetation
Assessment is about gathering the correct information. Knowing the prevalence and condition of the resources on the electric system is critical for managing risk and maximizing performance. Utilities benefit from measuring local plant growth rates, recognizing potential hazards, identifying environmental issues, and quantifying the benefits of the utility forest. Accurate assessment and collection of vegetation data along the right-of-way ensure a utility can make timely and effective decisions for the safe, reliable operation of the electric system. Operational decisions about cycle length, management strategies, program funding, and stewardship depend on having the best information.
VerdeCare professionals are skilled in all areas of vegetation assessment. VerdeCare exists to help the utility acquire the information they need to drive best practices where electricity and nature interface.
Assessment services we provide:
- Tree inventory
- Sample studies
- Safety assessments
- Risk analysis
Utility work does not start at one point and go straight through to another, and power lines do not cross homogeneous areas. Proper planning involves bringing the right resources together at the right time and place. Utility vegetation work is expected to be reasonable and necessary. Planners identify what needs to be completed and determine the proper tool to accomplish that task.
Proper planning improves environmental stewardship, reliability, and operational safety. Planners can find synergies, batch work, and enhance organizational capability, often resulting in reduced workforce needs. Adding VerdeCare to your planning process is like adding a larger lever, allowing a utility to exhibit more effective force where it is needed.
- Examining an electric system for vegetation concerns is part of the in-depth strategy needed to ensure reliability. Utilities should ensure inspections are performed following accepted best practices for the local given conditions. VerdeCare provides inspection services utilities can trust and understand. We can help with:
- Ground-truthing LIDAR or satellite AI
- FAC-003-4 R1-7 compliance on transmission assets
- Mitigating mid-cycle cycle-busters
- Audits on performance-based contracts
VerdeCare is the architect of a new model of Utility Vegetation Practice. We are committed to vegetation as an asset, we stand for ecological integrity, and we can be counted on for system predictability. Our team can leverage the experiences and knowledge of an entire industry to help any utility achieve specific goals and/or add competencies to their vegetation program.
VerdeCare can help utilities with:
- Managing pathogens (EAB, Spotted Lanternfly, Dutch Elm, Oak Wilt, etc.)
- Pest control advisement
- Clean Water Act
- Tree Line USA
- ROW Stewardship
- Pollinator and wildlife programs
- Software roll-outs
- Adoption of new vegetation tools, including; herbicides, TGRs, and mechanical tools
- FAC0003-4 compliance and setting up an evidence-based tool
- Environmental Impact analysis
- Data analytics
- Procurement processes (scope of work)
Not all vegetation work can be scheduled when the sun is out, and the sky is blue. We live in an environment that is not always predictable. At some point, every utility will need to respond to an incident on their system. Hurricanes, fires, tornados, and ice storms are just a few examples. VerdeCare provides timely, practical resources that utilities can count on for logistics and damage assessment. VerdeCare can assist with routing line-clearance resources, vegetation assessments, post-storm remediation, and capital planning of vegetation work to align with asset replacements.